PI Starkenburg/HeLP Germany
Co-operation of teachers, pupils and
parents of primary and secondary stages in the transition process
The current situation of the cluster
schools in Hesse/Germany
Schedule for parents and pupils throughout the
year of transition:
1st semester of year 4:
- Parents check marks of the pupil on a regular basis and
stay in contact with the class teacher.
- Parents collect information about secondary schools.
They attend open house days or take part in other activities
provided for their children as possible future pupils.
- Parents make a pre-choice of schools that would
be suitable to the child.
2nd semester of year 4:
- Parents have a conversation with the class teacher
in order to make a choice a suitable secondary school.
- Parents of both school levels attend information meetings.
- Parents wait for the agreement of the teachers
conference and enrol the pupil to a secondary school.
- Pupils may attend lessons at several secondary schools
together with their primary teacher and get to
know the future school environment and have the chance
to speak to future fellow pupils.
- Pupils and parents find out about details of how to
get to the future school.
1st semester of year 5:
- Parents accompany their child on their first day to
the secondary school.
- Selected secondary school pupils tutor on a one-to-one basis
in order to help them through the first year.
- Pupils get acquainted the new school environment,
new subjects and teachers.
- Parents observe their childs learning progress
and stay in contact with the teachers.
- If a pupil cannot keep up with the standard of the the
chosen school he/she may have to change over to a more suitable school.